This CPD course is intended to support members in understanding and using the NCS Code of Ethics (published in January 2018). It presents a number of examples and activities which you are encouraged to use to develop your understanding.
It does not pretend to offer the ‘right’ solution to every problem and dilemma, but we hope it will stimulate your own thinking about ethical practice and enable you, with the support and guidance of your supervisor, to feel secure in offering your best work to your clients.
The Society always welcomes feedback and dialogue with members, so please do get in touch with us if you have any feedback you would like to share.
Learning Outcomes & Course Requirements
By the end of the course you will be able to use the National Counselling Society Code of Ethics to support you in your practice.
- Foundations of Ethical Practice
- Ethics in Counselling Practice – Setting Standards
- The Importance of Boundaries
- Counselling and Power
- Power and the Counsellor’s ‘Shadow’
- Emotional or Sexual Exploitation
- Relationships with Former Clients
- Components of Ethical Practice
- Building Ethical Relationships
- Working with Organisations
- Inclusion and Diversity
- Social and Political Awareness
- Building Ethical Relationships – Conclusion
- Legal Issues in Ethical Practice
- Ethical Dilemmas and Problem Solving
- Model for Ethical Decision Making
- Using the Stepped Approach
- Using the Stepped Approach – Further Examples
- Ethics in Counselling Training and Research
- Complaints – Policy & Procedure
- NCS Code of Ethical Practice
This course is aimed at counsellors and members of the National Counselling Society.
The examples and activities given in the course are directly related to the counselling profession, and will guide participants to think about how best to use relevant ethical principles within their work.
The course requires self-directed learning. You do not need to purchase any books or journals to complete this course, but there is a section on recommended reading at the end of the course should you wish to continue learning more.
There is some video content within the course, so you will need access to headphones or speakers in order to listen to the video.
Upon completion of this course you will be awarded a certificate for 4 CPD hours.